Thirteen Orange-Ulster BOCES Career and Technical Education (CTE) students earned medals at the SkillsUSA Area IV Regional Conference at OU BOCES.
Nearly 200 students from various high schools and BOCES facilities showcased their talents during the competition on March 13. The annual event featured students from technical schools and BOCES programs throughout the Hudson Valley competing in 30 events ranging from Advertising Design to Welding.
SkillsUSA is a partnership of students, educators, and industry working together to create a skilled workforce of the future. SkillsUSA is a national student organization that teaches leadership and employability skills to help students succeed. The goal is that through involvement in SkillsUSA, students will develop personal, workplace and technical skills that will connect them to career success. SkillsUSA members have the opportunity to compete in their Area competition to hone their skills in their journey to the state competition and for the top winners to go to nationals. This is the first year since the COVID-19 pandemic that SkillsUSA has been hosted in person.
Congratulations to our medal winners:
- Joseph Adipietro (Pine Bush), first place, Residential Wiring
- Daniel Carlos (James I. O’Neill), first place, Carpentry
- Abigail Mant (Valley Central), first place, Advertising & Design
- MaKayla McKelvey (Pine Bush), first place, Esthetics
- John Whitbeck (Minisink Valley), first place, Automotive Collision
- Jason Edwards (Monticello), second place, Criminal Justice
- Vanessa Godduhn (Valley Central), second place, Extemporaneous Speaking
- Kyra Falone (S.S. Seward), Haley Feerick (Valley Central) and Bryna O'Leary (Washingtonville), second place, Crime Scene Investigation
- Kristen Matuszewski (S.S. Seward), second place, Job Skill Demo
- Angela Savino (Marlboro), second place: Advertising & Design
- Quion Valerio (Pine Bush), third place, Residential Wiring