- Instructional Support Services
On Wednesday, June 2, 2021, thirty-two high school seniors who have distinguished themselves in the arts and humanities during their high school careers were honored for their significant achievement. Students from school districts in the Orange-Ulster BOCES region were feted at the Senior Scholar Humanities Honoree Ceremony held at Goshen High School’s Coliseum. The event was coordinated by the Orange-Ulster BOCES Division of Instructional Support.
The students, their parents, high school principals, superintendents, and BOCES administration were invited to celebrate the students’ outstanding accomplishments in the fine arts, theater, music, fashion and jewelry design.
The keynote speaker for the event was Aurora Robson, a multi-media artist known predominantly for her meditative work intercepting the plastic waste stream. Her practice is about subjugating negativity and shifting trajectories. She has exhibited her work internationally in museums, galleries and non-traditional spaces since 2002. Robson is also the founding artist of Project Vortex, an international collective of artists, designers and architects who work in innovative ways with plastic debris.
Ms. Robeson spoke about how her art was initially inspired by the landscape of her childhood nightmares. She advised the student artists to follow their bliss, be kind and to let their bliss guide them.
“Having the ability to share your bliss, share your light and make more light is a gift,” Ms. Robson said.
2020-21 OU BOCES Senior Scholars in the Arts and Humanities Awardees:
- Angelina Scifo and Jonathan Walters-Suber (Chester Academy)
- Joshua Sandler and Kaitlyn Dugan (Cornwall HS)
- Emily Romano and Tyler Pauwels (S.S.Seward Institute)
- Benjamin Pahucki and Madelyn Bunzi (Goshen HS)
- Claire Kobylski and Justus Crow (James I. O’Neill HS)
- Matthew Bishop and Daysia Balles (Marlboro HS)
- Gianna McGrath and Julia McKeon (Middletown HS)
- Alyson Morse and Isabella Balz (Minisink Valley HS)
- Omar Lawrence and Matthew Bezdicek (Monroe-Woodbury HS)
- Alexander Yakle and Sage Galati (Newburgh Free Academy)
- Georgia Camacho and Haley Sullivan (Pine Bush HS)
- Ethan Perkowski and Cassie Rodriguez (Port Jervis HS)
- John Castricone and Theodore De Mond (George F. Baker HS)
- Katherine Stevens and Daniel Teutul (Valley Central HS)
- Maritess Cobane and Grace Hoey (Warwick Valley HS)
- Blaise Hewlett and Meagan Moscato (Washingtonville HS)