Odyssey of the Mind
Kathy Sherlock, Regional Director
Division of Instructional Support Services
4 Harriman Drive
Goshen, NY 10924
Phone: 845-781-4363 ext. 10745
2023 Tournament Date:
March 4, 2023
Coaches, district coordinators, judges, and OMers...
Use the Odyssey Resources Portal to access current Odyssey resources, such as the program guide, coaches manual, and much more. Also included in the portal are photos of past performances.
If you cannot access the portal, please email us so we will give you access.
HOW ODYSSEY OF THE MIND WORKS
Teams of up to seven students compete in five different problems which encompass vehicle, technical, classics, structure and theatrical. Each team receives its problem in early October and then proceeds to build, tape, glue, paint and "test run" props and mechanisms to prepare the best solution to the challenge. The tasks include a skit or performance that is an original creation.
Outside construction assistance from parents or adults is prohibited, and a spending limit is imposed on teams. In addition to the the assigned problem, Odyssey of the Mind competitors also have the opportunity to "flex" their intellectual skills by solving a spontaneous problem which involves quick and logical thinking.
Teams do not have any prior knowledge about the spontaneous question and must present a creative solution on the spot. Students from K-12 participate in the regional tournament according to their team's division, which is delineated by age/grade level.
Participating School Districts
- Chester Union Free School District
- Eldred Central School District
- Goshen Central School District
- Middletown Enlarged City School District
- Minisink Valley Central School District
- Monroe-Woodbury Central School District
- Pine Bush Central School District
- Port Jervis City School District
- Spackenkill Union Free School District
- Valley Central School District
- Wallkill Central School District
- Warwick Valley Central School District
- Washingtonville Central School District