District Superintendent Cooperative Services
In addition to serving as the Chief Executive Officer of Orange-Ulster BOCES, the District Superintendent acts in three capacities:
- As a consultant to individual districts;
- As a liaison between component districts and the State Education Department; and
- Upon request, will serve as a consultant for component districts in the search process for a new superintendent of schools.
The following are some of the responsibilities of all 37 District Superintendents in the State of New York:
- Facilitate communication and cooperation between districts, the State Education Department, and other public and private agencies.
- Interpret and clarify Education Law, Commissioner’s Regulations, and other policies affecting education in this region; and serve as the regional contact point for State initiatives, such as the new Standards, Capacity, and Assessment initiatives.
- Assist in developing educational policy while working closely with area legislators on behalf of public education.
- Report to the Commissioner and work closely with the Senior Deputy Commissioner.
- Conduct Registration reviews in New York City and within the BOCES supervisory area, as well as for those schools identified as requiring improvement.
- Assist with reorganization studies in participating districts and coordinate related efficiency grants.
- Investigate, hear, and decide upon boundary line disputes between districts. Provide advice and counsel to local Boards of Education and in-service education for local superintendents.
- Take cases on appeal and report testimony to the Commissioner, as directed.
- Provide assistance to non-public schools.
- Act on behalf of other District Superintendents.
- Approve BOCES service contracts and cross contracts.
If your district wishes to avail itself of any of these services, please contact Tom Bongiovi, District Superintendent, at (845) 291-0145 or email Tom Bongiovi.